Alien Sighting in the Trailer?

At the 22 second mark in the trailer this screenshot was pulled showing what could possibly be an alien figure off to the left side of the screen. It appears to be the face/head of what most people would describe as an alien being. It is gray and has a large skull and larger oval shaped eyes. Now, I'm not sure what we're seeing here, it could just be smoke playing tricks on our eyes, but it does sort of resemble an alien. However, that being said, I don't think this is the creature that is trying to break out of the box car on the train. The creature contained within that car seems to be a lot more powerful and probably a lot bigger than just an alien being. I think we're going to be looking at an actual creature and not just an alien "humanoid" when all is said and done.

So again, this could just be our eyes playing tricks on us and our brains making us see what we want to see, but it's the start of the campaign so I figured that everything is fair game for right now until we can prove otherwise (possible with an official version of the trailer).Β  So what do you guys think?

Thanks Brett for commenting on this and user wildoofsmeg at unfiction for the screenshot.

Update: commenter Kidanny has posted up another screenshot which some are saying looks more like an alien than the above, but honestly the more I look at both of them it just looks like smoke or the middle of a transition in the frame, but you be the judge. I've posted Kidanny's screenshot after the jump.

55 Responses to “Alien Sighting in the Trailer?”

1. “If you were around for the Cloverfield viral campaign you will remember people finding things in the trailer that weren’t there”…
    sorry but i don’t see it…

2. Steve Fratty says:

I sorta see it.. knowing Abrams it could well be there, but I’m not 100% certain.

3. Rooster says:

I think it’s a bit of a stretch….I’m not seeing it. I don’t think they would throw the main attraction in the trailer. With Clover, we didn’t see him until the movie was out, and then not even til halfway through the movie.

The face A few posts back I could see, but I dunno about this….

Keep up the analyticals though, JJ makes trailers like this for us to pick apart πŸ™‚

4. admin says:

Well I don’t think what people are seeing is going to be the actual creature that is banging on the train car. If it helps you see it, it’s actually 1/2 an alien face and not a whole round face with 2 eyes… And I do agree that it’s a bit of a stretch, but like I said, everything is new at this point so why not πŸ™‚

5. Steve Fratty says:

If it IS an alien we’re seeing here (big IF haha), who’s to say there won’t be more than one in the movie itself?

• jb says:

I actually have some astonishing photos u would not believe even when you see them but they are there and anyone can see them in the documentary parts.

I will send them to anyone who wants to see.

6. DeltaSpartan343 says:

When the trailer says “From producer Steven Spielberg”, after that is a frame of, what I see, are helicopters and some kind of structure or a city.
    I know that JJ likes to put hidden frames or clues in trailers (like in the Cloverfield movie), so I propuse to make a frame-by-frame of the trailer.

7. admin says:

I think in order to get clear pictures of things we’ll need an official trailer. There’s just too much room for mis-interpretation when we’re basing it off of a camera phone bootleg.

8. remy says:

i think it’s the demon that’s between the two girl faces from the very first picture on the 1-18-08 site. xD

9. Wesley says:

I can see it but as you said, it is early in the game and anything is fair speculation. Has anyone tried reading the ammo boxes and crates that are spread out in the ground after the train-wreck? I saw Iron Man 2 last night and I saw that there was clearly writing on one of the wooden crates. Could be something, could also not be.

Cheers,
    Wes

10. Big Red says:

dude remy, that would be so awesome!!! I dont think its anything, it JJ guys think about it. he wouldnt show a part of the monster so quickly.

11. Chris says:

I was looking at the picture of the lens on super8-movie.com and it appears that a sequence of number then letters flash over the lens. I wasn’t able to make it out entirely, but it appeared to be something different than scariestthingieversaw. Has anyone else noticed this or looked into this?

12. Wesley says:

Hmm, I can’t quite make it out either. It looks almost as if there is two reels rolling; one on the inside portion of the lens and one on the outside. They look reversed from each other to me.

13. Steve Fratty says:

Yes look at previous posts, it has been discovered and discussed a little bit already. πŸ™‚

14. Big Red says:

i just dont see how this isnt related to cloverfield. it looks WAY to much like it, especialy because its called super 8, and thats an old camera and cloverfield was shot on a POV video camera

15. TP says:

All I see is the back and the top of somebody’s ass.

However, I think the breaks have nothing to do with the subject matter in the trailer ( train wreck). Instead of looking for objects, I started to look for patterns of abrupt changes in color/lines. I don’t have the means to capture a picture, but during the last “Smoke Flash” I keep seeing 2 huge black dots.

16. Jay says:

Its about the chupacabra

17. Jay says:

Or could this be close encounters of the fourth kind? same truck. same tracks. around the same year. maybe related lol.

18. Brett says:

Let it roll a fraction of a second longer(or earlier) and it comes together alot better than the pic you have.I stopped the trailer you have around the 21-22 second part and it was clearer than the pic you have here.

19. Brett says:

Also,it has been said the Grey’s were only the “helpers”.But who knows,it’s fun to speculate what this going to be.

20. Brett says:

Look at the white flashes frame by frame.:)

21. R.Riley says:

I see the naked back and butt of a human (99% sure it’s male)

I don’t see any alien head.

22. Christian says:

in 1979 there so happen to be an area 51 story. ever hear of the fire fight in dulce? its a very interesting story but it does involve alien encouters.

23. Alan says:

I see a body. Lower left corner, move a little bitt over, bout half way to the middle of the screen from teh lower left corner., it looks like a possible outline of a hand/arm? just a possibility. maby an alien body, not just a face.
    or both

24. carltonl says:

Yea… if you stare at it long enough you also can see a twinkie.

This is just another typical nerd stretch. There is absolutely nothing in these in between slides and like its been mentioned you can pull something from nothing 100% of the time. Look at how many people were wrong when cloverfield came out. All the circling of the smoke in youtube videos and nerd speculation were flat wrong. This is just another one of those instances

But let them have their fun… this site would have nothing to post if they didnt freeze frame smoke and call it alien heads, LOL

25. Jay says:

To be fair, during the movie Cloverfield, there were many instances when you could freeze the movie, and in the frames, there were pics of monsters.

26. Alec says:

Jay, the pictures of monsters in Cloverfield were just featured on the DVD as cute nods to classic monster movies.

27. Tibby says:

If you freeze frame the video you can see lots of different crap. The picture posted above looks nothing like an alien. But the one kidanny posted looks more like it. Also look at the wipes after text and you can see lots of crap that may or may not be there or not. Eyes play tricks on you

28. D.Morris says:

i can see the alien face going on in 21-22 seconds of the clip. also, u can see other things or aliens before the text shows up. most of the clues happen to show up before all the text pops up. watch it a couple of times and for sure u’ll see something.

29. Brett says:

That’s the pic I was talking about KIDANNY!!!!!!YOU GOT IT!Kinda looks like an alien ,no?

• court says:

looks like a cartoon cat with an oversized head…. rearing on its back paws.

• court says:

point being, I’m sure JJ did not put a cat with an oversized head in the trailer… but I can see it. Therefore, if it also looks like an alien, its probably not.

30. Alan says:

I looked at he 1 Kidanny posted, I can see more of the alien now. The 1 posted at the top of the page looks like a body, but I am kinda puzzled on the 1 kidanny posted. I can sorta see an alien, but at the same time i dont. (lol talk about those illusian books) its either ya see it or ya dont kinda thing i think. Love all the fun this movie brings to us. btw, just a lil over half way done on the Scariestthingieversaw.com. were getting closer =) cannot w8 to see what happens next.

31. McV says:

Seeing as they arent even planning to shoot until this fall, I doubt they would have something like a finished creature shot in the trailer. Let alone a teaser. That being said, I just got the trailer on 35mm so I’m gonna go through frame by frame! Just in case…

32. Eric says:

I see something walking

33. Eric says:

It looks as if something is walking in front of the camera, it looks lika the back of a leg.

34. Sauce says:

When you develop a film you do it with some liquid chemicals and, if you don’t wash the film would be kind a dirty and sticky… my theory is it’s only the rest fo the chemical left on the film. Obviously, they didn’t filmit in super 8 films, but, i think that is an effect to make it look like a super 8 film…

I see a shape that could be an alien… but i know that is the texture super 8 film like…

It’s more clear the face that you can see nearly the end of the trailer… before de blasted door..

(sorry for my english…) Cheers!

35. herro! says:

@ about 1:22 mark, a human face, probably of a child, can be seen. Pause it quickly like after the door crashed open and right before the camera lens is displayed.

36. Zodiac says:

I think the second screenshot isn’t an alien, to me, it looks like 2 fellows wearing an NBC suit, or something similar. You see a picture of a suit here: http://www.worldemergency.com/images/gasmaskpersons.jpg

37. Cisco says:

Looks like Casper the friendly ghost to me lol

38. Sina*Matik says:

I know this doesn’t matter that much, but i uploaded the trailer into my picture editing program and observed that these images are meant to be “flash frames”.. where as the film negative is briefly running off of the gate so the image we see are the sprockets .. creating that distorted, authentic “Super 8” look

39. StrangeCommunicator says:

Greys are children. They grow and mature into taller beings with much stranger shaped skulls, similar to what was shown in the last Indiana Jones movie.

It’s kind of alarming to watch Close Encounters considering how ridiculously close Steven was to their race and how they go about.

Live in the middle of nowheresville country with an air force base about a half hour drive from you. You get to meet some interesting things.

40. rubble says:

After skimming through the trailer a few times it seems to me there are lots of these sorts of images. Are the a montage to be made to go together??????

41. rubble says:

Have spotted something else will post pics Sunday

42. DjCrazybrows says:

I think there is something there but i also think these type of images in the trailer are made to be seen through a film real.

43. Janesmith says:

The creature is machine like … in nature .. thats my guess..

44. Jeff says:

Would love to know where the trailer was filmed and why nobody is talking or wondering bout that!
    Lots of military vehicles here the past two days in their fenced in storage lot.

45. M. Frohike says:

Who says that the thing in the train car is a creature? Hows that for food for thought πŸ˜‰ Or maybe it’s a little grey with some sort of super gun?

46. kronos says:

my guess is that its 8 super children you can see the cast on imbd and theirs a bunch of kids