Super 8 Will NOT Be In 3D

Thank god!

I don't know how some of you guys feel about the wave of 3D movies that are coming out right now, but personally I think they are all terrible. Not necessarily the movies themselves, but the tech behind the 3D aspect of it. "Avatar" was decent, but only because it was shot using special 3D cameras and it was planned to be 3D from the very beginning. Most of these other movies like "Clash of the Titans", "Alice in Wonderland" and "The Last Airbender" were not shot using the 3D format, but rather converted to 3D after the fact in a computer... and it shows. But either way we can rest easy at night knowing that J.J. Abrams will not fall into the Hollywood fad trap and convert "Super 8" to 3D.

This information all came from the panel he was a part of last night at Comic-Con with Joss Whedon (who officially announced he'll be directing The Avengers). There wasn't really any other juicy information that we could use to help us out in the viral marketing or about the movie at all really. He talked about it being an homage to Spielberg and his work and talked about how he pitched it to him, but really the only things he said about the movie were that it would not be in 3D, they haven't started casting yet and not a single piece of film has been shot outside of the trailer footage (shooting starts in September). So everything is still a big mystery that we're sure not to solve anytime soon.

I'll admit, I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping for at least a poster or something to leak like Cloverfield's poster did a couple years ago at Comic-Con, but there's still a lot of time between now and when the movie is supposed to come out so I'll just have to be patient. You can check out Cinematical's write up on the panel if you want to get a little more information about what he actual said and stuff like that. It's a quick read and is kind of interesting.

19 Responses to “Super 8 Will NOT Be In 3D”

1. e0w fpH0uWz says:

Nice. I really do hope the script will be good. One of the greatest directors of the world plus another *great* director who also specializes in ARGs? Why not?

2. Chrisrowl says:

I hope they shoot in the mid-west…

3. Jeff says:

This is good. 3-D has its moments and is acceptable at certain times, but with directors and producers of this caliber who are more interested in telling a good story rather than try to appeal with gimmicks, a standard film would be better. IMAX is most certainly acceptable though. Even though it would be silly if this movie is “found footage” style. But like you said, we still know very little, so only time will tell.

Even the little he said got me excited. I’m looking forward to what happens next.

While I do appreciate IMAX when done right, like The Dark Knight, I still find the ridiculously large screen to be distracting. I don’t like having to move my head from side to side to catch all the action. Again, it could just be me, but my preference has always been a straight up normal theater experience. Now with that said, I’m all about the new projector technology that makes things super bright and super clear.

4. Jeff says:

@admin

I agree. I know Abrams and Spielberg will do the right thing. I’m not worried.

5. I agree with admin, 3d movies now are terrible, well, most of them. And admin, a little bird told me that J.J. will start shooting this fall.

6. My bad, didn’t read the “shooting starts in September.”

7. rey says:

See, even though officially Super 8 won’t be there, you can’t rule anything out yet. JJ Knows that he’s not going to be able to get out of there without saying some cryptic thing about this movie, what with all the fanboys probably bugging the shit out of him for information. He would be doing us a disservice if nothing more was said.

8. Q says:

yes! i’m so sick and tired of all these 3D movies. i blame avatar. avatar was good and the 3D version didn’t make it any better…

9. kush says:

3D movies are made to keep the attention of peoples short attention spans.

10. bordatwork says:

When I was about 8 years old my parents took my family to Disney World in California, where I saw the 3D movie “Captain EO” with Michael Jackson. And that is where 3D should stay.

11. Tim says:

i agree. can’t wait for 3D technology without the glasses though… :+P

12. I dropped my mind! You have never seen a site like this! The new Facebook. Free to use, search by hobbies, music, movies. Lots of singles, parties, sweepstakes. What are you waiting for? All free! Click my name and enjoy !

13. Town Crier says:

3D is awesome! Good 3D has NOTHING to do whether it was converted or shot that way with stereoscopic cameras. For example, one of the best 3D movies ever, The Polar Express 3D, was converted. It’s the skill of the people doing the conversion, not the process.

14. Super 8 3D says:

I actually really like 3D. If you don’t like 3D then don’t watch it in 3D. Let those who do like it watch it. I find it pretty cool whether it is converted or not.

15. Chris says:

I can’t possibly disagree with you more! People like you who have an issue with 3D movies are quick to belittle this experience that so many of us find so enjoyable when the option to NOT SEE IT IN 3D is there for your taking every time. Your discounting of us who relish the technology and calling out to Hollywood to end it smacks of mere snobbery and nothing else- it’s always the same sneer: “I don’t like it, so nobody else should, either”. While some early 3D conversions (Beowulf and Clash of the Titans, etc.) were definitely flawed (but nevertheless interesting) I find that the newer conversions (like Thor) are absolutely spectacular! My wife and I loved Avatar all 4 times we went to see it in 3D IMAX- I have never before gone to a theatre to see the same movie more than twice in all my 60 years. I’m very disappointed that “Super 8” will not be in 3D, as 90% of the movies that I go to see in theatres now are. Otherwise, I just wait to see it on DVD in most cases. 3D, and in IMAX too? More, more, MORE!!!

16. Chris says:

One other comment: 3D is hardly a “gimmick”. It is truly a wonderful and welcome advancement to the theatre-going (and blu-ray watching!) experience. In case you missed it, Avatar is way far and away the biggest grossing movie of all time.

17. Dr. Michael says:

I have to say, watching this movie in 2D left it missing something. It was good, but would have been spectacular in 3D. What serious movies does without this necessary technology? My family agrees – Super 8 needed 3D.